City of Hope has retained Kirby Partners to conduct a nationwide executive search for candidates for their Executive Director, Enterprise Applications.
City of Hope is one of only 51 National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated comprehensive cancer centers in the nation, a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, and an independent biomedical research institution near Los Angeles, California that offers a unique blend of compassionate care and research innovation. By developing scientific breakthroughs, expediting new treatments, providing outstanding professional education, and delivering a personalized, compassionate focus for each individual patient, City of Hope is recognized as being at the forefront of the battle against cancer and other deadly illnesses.
There are City of Hope locations across Los Angeles, Riverside, Ventura, San Bernardino, and Orange counties, providing patients access to over 725 clinical trials to date.
City of Hope’s three manufacturing facilities manufactures both biologic and chemical compounds that meet strict good manufacturing practice (GMP) standards. City of Hope holds more than 450 patent portfolios and submits nearly 50 applications per year to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for investigational new therapies.
City of Hope Research Entities:
- The Irell & Manella Graduate School of Biological Sciences (IMGS) is a renowned bench-to-bedside research institute with 100+ principal investigators working toward the treatments and prevention of cancer, diabetes, and HIV/AIDS.
- Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope was the first of five Beckman Institutes in the United States, which together have fueled scientific advances for more than a generation.
- City of Hope and Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen), a leading biomedical research institute, formed an alliance to make precision medicine a reality for patients. This alliance enables both institutes to complement each other’s strengths, with TGen’s genomic insights augmenting the level of care available to City of Hope patients.
Many professional sports organizations have supported City of Hope, including the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Los Angeles Kings, Major League Soccer’s Chivas USA, and the National Football League.
Executive Director, Enterprise Applications Position Overview
The Executive Director, Enterprise Applications position provides strategic direction and program execution for an entire portfolio of large, complex clinical and administrative technology applications and services. They also provide customer relationship management for clinicians and business leaders.
This position has responsibility for partnering with IT governance leadership in developing, prioritizing, and executing on projects as well as providing transparency into the work of IT that is conducted in support of the business line (ISC- Integrated Steering Committee business scope).
The Executive Director should demonstrate a leadership style that is engaging, imaginative, and collaborative aligning with other IT leaders and disciplines to meet business goals and manage conflict as needed.
This leader positions the enterprise systems for strategic initiatives, including growth and acquisitions as well as new clinical and business models.
The role provides dynamic vision and direction to the team tied to the mission of City of Hope with a focus on employee development and retention.
This key person reports to the Vice President of Enterprise Clinical Applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related discipline. (An equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education may substitute for degree).
- Advanced degree preferred.
- 15+ years of IT experience.
- 15+ years of progressively responsible management experience.
- 5+ years of senior leadership experience, preferable working with technologies and applications within the Healthcare Industry.
- EPIC or Cerner EHR, PeopleSoft or SAP ERP, Imaging Systems, and hospital-based ancillary applications.
- Experience overseeing and managing complex, organizationally matrix-based programs and schedules in Healthcare is desired.
Desired knowledge, skills, and attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal and customer relationship skills demonstrating active listening and negotiation techniques as well as mediation of conflicts with positive outcomes.
- Strong relationship-building skills with executive leaders, physicians, and key decision-makers/influencer within the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, appropriate preparation, and presence when speaking to large audiences demonstrating confidence and topic expertise.
- Experience leading large multi-disciplinary, complex teams.
- Experience with software development methodologies, project management techniques, and development life cycle.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
For more information about the organization, the Executive Director, Enterprise Applications position, and the community, click the “Full Profile” link (top right sidebar).
Please note that Kirby Partners exclusively represents this job opportunity and all candidates will be presented through our team of executive recruiters. If you have questions about this position, please email Steve Bennett.