University of Maryland Medical System has retained Kirby Partners to identify, qualify and present individuals for their Senior Director, Chief of Clinical Informatics position.
Senior Director/Chief of Clinical Informatics Position Overview:
The Senior Director, Chief of Clinical Informatics reports directly to the Associate CIO and Vice President of the enterprise-wide system who is also a physician. Employing their large team, this individual will work closely with all 13 hospitals to ensure they are either fully utilizing the Epic system or preparing for their upcoming Epic implementation. The informatics team also collaborates with the IT applications team to provide great customer support and to create a system that listens to their users. With close to 1,000 new employees each year, the training department is also under the Chief of Clinical Informatics.
The University of Maryland Medical System Senior Director and Chief of Clinical Informatics provides system-wide clinical leadership to advance the UMMS utilization of clinical information systems consistent with the goals of clinical, operational, and strategic initiatives of the Medical System.
The University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) is a comprehensive network of thirteen academic, community and specialty hospitals, affiliated physicians and skilled care teams that provide world-class care across the state.
Read more about UMMS.
Senior Director/Chief of Clinical Informatics Position Description:
- Reporting to the Associate CIO and Vice President for IT, the Senior Director; builds, leads, and manages the team that serves as the primary liaison between physicians, nurses, allied health professionals, clinical teams, executive leadership, information system teams/vendors.
- Works in close partnership with other IS&T leaders to ensure regional clinical multidisciplinary leadership of clinical IT projects and maintenance/enhancement of clinically-facing IT systems.
- Provides leadership and guidance in the integration of the design of information systems including primary clinical and analytics tools, clinical content, workflow and operational processes, quality patient care, and benefits realization.
- Champions the deployment and effective use of clinical information at the local, regional and System level, aligned with operations groups within the organization.
- Provides overall direction and guidance to assigned personnel.
- Manages resources and processes in a cost-effective manner dedicated to clinical information systems including design and implementation of new systems.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Formal training and at least 5 years practice experience in a clinical field (e.g. nursing, physical / occupational therapy, pharmacy, or similar)
- At least 5 years of progressive healthcare management experience (primary budget responsibility ideal)
- Previous experience as clinical leader for multiple clinical projects, large multi-faceted capital projects and/or leadership within complex organizations
- Master’s degree in clinical area, business, information systems, or closely related field strongly preferred; doctorate in related field ideal
- A background with Epic
- Experience with a large, complex organization
- Experience with a multi-hospital system
- Experience within an academic healthcare organization