This position has been filled.
ECU Health has retained Kirby Partners to conduct a nationwide executive search for candidates for their Chief Medical Informatics and Digital Health Officer.
ECU Health is a mission-driven integrated system that reaches more than 1.4 million people across 29 counties across eastern North Carolina.
The health system includes ECU Health Medical Center, its flagship academic medical center with two campuses affiliated with The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, nine regional hospitals, outpatient facilities, home health, hospice, and wellness centers.
ECU Health also includes a multi-specialty physician and provider group that offers access to more than 500 providers in over 100 practice locations.
Chief Medical Informatics and Digital Health Officer Position Overview
As a key strategic executive for ECU Health, the Chief Medical Informatics and Digital Health Officer (CMIDHO), will develop and execute strategies to optimize and transform care delivery models and the clinician-patient experience through the smart use of the EHR, digital tools, advanced technologies, services and processes. The CMIDHO will have a dyad relationship with the Chief Information Officer.
The CMIDHO will develop these strategies in collaboration with executive and clinical leaders taking into consideration clinical, administrative, operational, research and educational needs of the organization.
The CMIDHO will set the digital health vision and align the use of technology with health system strategies and key clinical priorities. The CMIDHO serves as the evangelist of technology enabled clinical transformation by setting the tone, spurring enthusiasm, and challenging current wisdom.
As a change agent, the CMIDHO will engage multi-disciplinary teams and build enabling capabilities to reimagine care delivery and processes that support personalized human experiences across all touchpoints. The CMIDHO will balance the excitement and investment in digital heath technologies with the adoption and value proposition that is complex and multifaceted.
The CMIDHO has the dual responsibility to maintain and incrementally improve the EHR and core technology systems and platforms while also leading and supporting digital transformational activities. This will require striking the right balance between short term improvement and long-term value and exploring new opportunities in the digital world while addressing existing operational challenges through the available digital means.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD or DO) with at least five years practicing while leveraging an EHR for care delivery; eligibility for unrestricted license to practice in North Carolina.
- At least 2 years of significant leadership experience in a clinical informatics role within a health care system leveraging an electronic health record.
- Board Certification in appropriate specialty.
- Visionary and global thinking related to the use of technology in medicine.
- Comfort in challenging the status quo and ‘the way things have always been done’ to bring creativity and innovation into the organization.
- Proven track record as a problem solver and business leader with a high emotional quotient and strong interpersonal skills.
- Passionate about building collaborations of patient and clinician-focused innovators to solve complex healthcare problems.
- Experience coaching, mentoring, persuading, leading and advising health care providers in the use of clinical information systems to provide high quality patient care.
- Excellent collaboration and influencing skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team and navigate enterprise politics and matrixed relationships.
- Board certification in Clinical Informatics.
- Formal training in Clinical Informatics.
- Significant leadership experience with an Epic health system.
- Experience in a complex academic environment.
- Experience leading and/or supporting system-wide digital transformation efforts.
- Industry experience working with biopharma, payers, startups, and technology vendors is a plus.
For more information about the organization, the Chief Medical Informatics and Digital Health Officer position, and the community, click the “Full Profile” link (top right sidebar).
Please note that Kirby Partners exclusively represents this job opportunity and all candidates will be presented through our team of executive recruiters. If you have questions about this position, please email Steve Bennett or Margaret Cowan.