Lifespan has retained Kirby Partners to conduct a nationwide executive search for candidates for their Chief Technology Officer.
Formed in 1994, Lifespan is a not-for-profit health system based in Providence, Rhode Island.
A comprehensive, integrated, academic health system affiliated with The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Lifespan’s present partners include:
- Rhode Island Hospital
- Hasbro Children’s Hospital
- Bradley Hospital, the nation’s first psychiatric hospital for children
- Newport Hospital, a community hospital offering a broad range of health services
- Gateway Healthcare, the state’s largest provider of community behavioral health care
- Lifespan Physician Group, the largest multi-specialty practice in Rhode Island
- Coastal Medical, a primary care driven medical practice
Lifespan teaching hospitals are among the country’s top recipients of research funding from the US National Institutes of Health. The hospitals received $92 million in external research funding in fiscal 2019.
Lifespan also includes specialty services through its:
- Lifespan Cancer Institute
- Lifespan Cardiovascular Institute
- Lifespan Orthopedics Institute
- Women’s Medicine Collaborative
- Norman Prince Neurosciences Institute
- Bradley Hasbro Children’s Research Center
- Lifespan Ambulatory Care Centers
- Lifespan Laboratories
- Lifespan Pharmacy
Chief Technology Officer Position Overview
The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will oversee technology infrastructure at Lifespan, the largest healthcare provider in Rhode Island and the largest employer in the state.
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President/Chief Information Officer, the CTO provides leadership to a team of approximately 130 staff.
The CTO will deliver and support the information technology infrastructure assets and services needed to achieve Lifespan’s mission of delivering health with care.
They will also align technology vision and architecture with business strategy by integrating business processes with appropriate forward-looking technologies, technology modernization, and cloud migration.
The CTO leads the Information Services teams that maintain enterprise IT systems, including the system-wide implementation of the Epic electronic health record, at high standards of reliability, availability, and security needed for a large and complex academic healthcare system.
They will support enterprise growth and operations with information technology and architecture plans that are flexible and scalable while introducing new technologies with demonstrated stability, such as the appropriate use of cloud technologies.
The CTO will also continue to develop a cloud-smart migration strategy through SaaS, PaaS, and Iaas.
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer sciences or related field is required.
- A Master’s degree or PhD. is preferred.
- Seven or more years of experience in progressively more responsible information services management roles in a diverse and operationally complex organization.
- Experience in managing complex technological infrastructures for a regional enterprise.
- Excellent knowledge of technology environments, including telecommunications, networks, media, desktops, mobile devices, data center technologies (Server and Storage), and cloud-based infrastructure services.
- Extensive knowledge of hardware platforms, enterprise software applications, and outsourced systems.
- Technical experience with systems networking, databases, and user support.
- Demonstrated ability to apply solutions to business problems.
For more information about the organization, the Chief Technology Officer position, and the community, click the “Full Profile” link (top right sidebar).
Please note that Kirby Partners exclusively represents this job opportunity and all candidates will be presented through our team of executive recruiters. If you have questions about this position, please email Bryan Kirby.