Rady Children’s Hospital has retained Kirby Partners to conduct a nationwide executive search for candidates for their Senior Director, Data Science, Genomics.
Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego is the region’s pediatric medical center serving San Diego, Imperial and southern Riverside counties, treating children from birth to 18 years old as well as a small number of adults with certain conditions that are served by Rady’s specialized services.
In addition, Rady Children’s Hospital is:
- The largest children’s hospital in California (based on admissions)
- The only hospital in the San Diego area dedicated exclusively to pediatric healthcare
- The region’s only designated pediatric trauma center
- Provider of care to 91 percent of the region’s children
Rady Children’s, in partnership with UC San Diego School of Medicine, is also the region’s teaching hospital for the next generation of pediatric physicians. Each year, Rady trains more than 550 residents, 240 medical students and 150 fellows.
Rady Children’s is a major pediatric clinical research center, with more than 770 active research studies underway, including more than 170 active clinical trials.
Rady collaborates with world-class institutions, including:
- UC San Diego
- The Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- The Scripps Research Institute
- The Salk Institute for Biological Studies
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine is a non-profit research organization embedded within Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego. The Institute assembles a team of world-class scientists, researchers and clinicians who focus their talents on preventing, diagnosing, treating and curing childhood disease through genomics and systems medicine research.
Senior Director, Data Science, Genomics Position Overview
Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine is seeking a Senior Director, Data Science, Genomics to serve as head of data science for the organization.
This is a new position reporting to the VP of Research and Clinical Management of the Genomics Institute.
This is an incredible opportunity for an experienced leader to implement state of the art approaches to analyze next generation genomic sequencing and other “omics”.
The Senior Director will have the opportunity to build a team of data scientists.
The Senior Director will also:
- Execute data analyses for multiple research studies across a broad range of pediatric health conditions
- Provide expertise on study design
- Lead analysis and interpretation of next generation genomic sequencing data to advance precision medicine
- Lead the development of products and data models to support the strategic growth of a state of the art rapid genome laboratory
Culturally, Rady Children’s is a mission-driven organization and progressive children’s hospital. They seek out employees who “care about their career as much as they care about kids” and they’ve built an exceptional employee culture of strong performers.
There is a lot of tenure within the organization, and for an individual committed to making a difference, this is a great position.
Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine seeks candidates with strong training in the analysis and interpretation of next generation genomic sequencing data to advance precision medicine.
Successful candidates will need to demonstrate their ability to build and sustain a stellar team of data scientists, contribute and participate in internal and external presentations, peer-reviewed manuscripts, conference proceedings, and applications for extramural funding.
- PhD required in an area of study in a field related to the position
- 10+ years of related experience
- 5+ years of experience providing data science leadership in the field of Genomic Medicine
- 3+ years of leadership experience
- Expert level familiarity with data science and statistical modeling (e.g. Python, R, Stark, SAS and equivalent)
- Familiarity with the data science challenges facing the modern genomics laboratory and healthcare settings including common workflow models; capable of planning for future growth and change
- The ability to use machine learning and other artificial intelligence methods
- PMI Certification
- Research Administration Certification
- Clinical Research Coordination Certification
- Membership in regional or national research administration professional organization
For more information about the organization, the Senior Director, Data Science, Genomics position, and the community, click the “Full Profile” link (top right sidebar).
Please note that Kirby Partners exclusively represents this job opportunity and all candidates will be presented through our team of executive recruiters. If you have questions about this position, please email Steve Bennett.