University Health has retained Kirby Partners to conduct a nationwide executive search for candidates for their Chief Medical Informatics Officer - Ambulatory.
University Health, a comprehensive health system with a hospital and outpatient clinics, has one of two Level l trauma centers for adults and the only Level l pediatric center and burn program in South Texas.
The hospital is the primary teaching facility for the UT Health San Antonio School of Medicine, and serves as a clinical training site for nurses and other healthcare professionals.
A two million square foot, 300-bed hospital with new Women and Children's Hospital is under construction and slated to open August 2023.
Facts and Figures
- 30 outpatient locations
- 9,000+ employees
- 2,400+ physicians
- $2,073,255 revenue*
- 637,859 total community visits*
- 3,213 births*
*Figures based on 2019 Annual Report
Chief Medical Informatics Officer - Ambulatory Position Overview
University Health has a mature IT organization that has achieved HIMSS Level 7 and Most Wired Level 10. They had a successful go-live of Epic in July of 2020 and received the Good Install award. The IT organization is committed to supporting the continued growth of University Health while leveraging technology to support patient care.
The Chief Medical Informatics Officer - Ambulatory is a highly visible executive and medical leader who supports and promotes Epic optimization and effective use to ambulatory clinicians and administrators.
They will report to the CIO and will work in close collaboration with the CMIO - Inpatient.
The CMIO - Ambulatory will help determine which new features to install and help define strategic clinical priorities for continuous improvement. They will also encourage other clinicians to participate in the direction-setting and adoption of Epic.
This sense of community ownership should help clinicians see Epic as something they're participating in to improve clinical workflows and clinical documentation in the care of patients.
The CMIO - Ambulatory will leverage Signal data from Epic to help ambulatory physicians become more effective and reduce ‘pajama-time’. They will also serve as a liaison between Ambulatory administration, clinicians, project governance, executive sponsors, and the Epic team for optimization, upgrades, and management of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
Culturally, University Health requires a strong commitment to:
- Service excellence
- Positive clinical outcomes
- Cost efficiency
- Performance enhancement
- High business ethics
Required Education & Experience:
- Medical degree and current board certification from the American Board of Medical Specialties
- 10+ years of experience in direct patient care
- 5+ years of experience as an Epic provider leader with progressive responsibilities
- Direct experience in the use and management of Epic in the ambulatory setting
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Epic Physician Builder
- Formal training in healthcare informatics
- Experience as a provider leader in hospitals, medical group practice, academic medical centers and public hospitals
- Master’s degree with formal education in medical management, business administration, or public health
- Must possess a current active and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Texas.
- Team player
- Adaptable in a changing environment with shifting priorities and tight deadlines
- Strong executive presence with the ability to interact at all levels of the organization
Please note, this is a fully on-site position. No remote or hybrid candidates will be considered.
For more information about the organization, the Chief Medical Informatics Officer - Ambulatory position, and the community, click the “Full Profile” link (top right sidebar).
Please note that Kirby Partners exclusively represents this job opportunity and all candidates will be presented through our team of executive recruiters. If you have questions about this position, please email Margaret Cowan.