Duke Health has retained Kirby Partners to conduct a nationwide executive search for candidates for their Senior Director of Enterprise Architecture.
Duke Health is an integrated health system based in Durham, North Carolina with three hospitals and includes the Duke University School of Medicine, Duke-NUS Medical School, Duke University School of Nursing, Duke University Health System, and the Private Diagnostic Clinic PLLC physicians practice.
The health system has more than 140 specialty and primary care clinics, and educational and research institutions that serve Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill in North Carolina.
Duke is the largest employer in Durham County and the state's fourth-largest private employer.
Reporting to the Associate Chief Technology Officer, the Senior Director of Enterprise Architecture will be responsible for translating institutional strategy into technical needs and requirements for Duke Health. The Enterprise Architect is responsible for leading architecture teams while defining and providing the technical direction for solution architecture designs and system engineering for infrastructure, middleware, mobile and platform solutions. This key position facilitates execution of strategic initiatives and the implementation of technologies across the portfolio using new and traditional architectures. The Enterprise Architect will be a part of the CTO organization and provide industry leadership on key design decisions balanced against resource impacts and risks to Duke Health.
- Architecting Duke’s cloud-smart strategy
- Epic disaster recovery readiness
- Establishing the architecture for the Nference partnership
An Exciting Partnership:
In addition, Duke Health and Microsoft Corporation are embarking on a 5-year, innovative partnership aimed at responsibly and ethically harnessing the potential of generative artificial intelligence (AI) and cloud technology to redefine the health care landscape.
By marrying Duke Health's leadership in patient care and medical research with Microsoft's technological expertise, this strategic alliance will usher in a new era of innovation, including the creation of a Duke Health AI Innovation Lab and Center of Excellence.
Microsoft will equip Duke with state-of-the-art training to foster a cloud-savvy IT workforce and construct a secure cloud environment to simplify and modernize IT operations. In addition, Duke intends to leverage Microsoft's secure cloud analytics solutions to streamline clinical care, promote health equity, and further advancements in both research and education. To illustrate, Duke's strategy involves utilizing cloud analytics to equip its researchers and clinicians with the ability to pinpoint and address the significant health challenges prevalent within the community.
The SDEA will have full-scale responsibility over security, infrastructure, and blended solutions for this partnership.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4 years of progressive experience in a combination of IT design and architecture disciplines with at least 3 years of solution architecture experience and 3 years of management experience
- If no degree, 10 years of progressive experience in a combination of design and/or architecture disciplines
- Well-versed in enterprise technology buying and evaluation processes paired with a strong understanding of hyper-scale computing solutions and experience building, architecting, designing, and implementing highly distributed global cloud-based systems
- 5+ years of experience implementing virtual environments in private and public cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience in architecting, developing software, or Internet scale production-grade big data solutions in virtualized environments
- Ability to work, communicate effectively, and influence stakeholders on internal/external engineering teams, product development teams, external partners, and executive-level leadership
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Ability to interpret customer business and technical needs
- Outstanding problem-solving and analytical skills
- Experience in a healthcare environment
- Experience in Big Data within the cloud, including data analytics/warehousing, and with database design/querying
- 3+ years managing an architecture team
- Experience in emerging technologies including Enterprise cloud computing AI platforms, Machine Learning, and Data Lakes
For more information about the organization, the position, and the community, click the “Full Profile” link (top right sidebar).
Please note that Kirby Partners exclusively represents this job opportunity and all candidates will be presented through our team of executive recruiters. If you have questions about this position, please email Jaclyn Gates.