Rady Children's Hospital has retained Kirby Partners to conduct a nationwide executive search for candidates for their Senior Director of Bioinformatics.
Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego is the region’s pediatric medical center serving San Diego, Imperial and southern Riverside counties, treating children from birth to 18 years old as well as a small number of adults with certain conditions that are served by Rady’s specialized services.
In addition, Rady Children’s Hospital is:
- The largest children’s hospital in California (based on admissions)
- The only hospital in the San Diego area dedicated exclusively to pediatric healthcare
- The region’s only designated pediatric trauma center
- Provider of care to 91 percent of the region’s children
Rady Children’s, in partnership with UC San Diego School of Medicine, is also the region’s teaching hospital for the next generation of pediatric physicians. Each year, Rady trains more than 550 residents, 240 medical students and 150 fellows.
Rady Children’s is a major pediatric clinical research center, with more than 770 active research studies underway, including more than 170 active clinical trials.
Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine is a non-profit research organization embedded within Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego. The Institute assembles a team of world-class scientists, researchers, and clinicians who focus their talents on preventing, diagnosing, treating, and curing childhood disease through genomics and systems medicine research.
Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine is accelerating the pace of discovery and building the evidence base to advance delivery of Rapid Precision Medicine™ as the standard-of-care for children with genetic diseases.
They are best known for their ability to perform rapid whole genome sequencing among critically ill patients who have underlying rare genetic disorders. In 5 years they have grown from implementing rapid whole genome sequence for critically ill infants and children in one hospital (RCHSD) to 70 hospitals throughout the US and Canada.
Senior Director of Bioinformatics Job Overview
Rady Children’s Hospital leads the field of pediatric genomics, one of the most innovative forces in healthcare today. The Senior Director of Bioinformatics will play a key leadership role as Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine (RCIGM) embarks on their vision for the next 5-10 years sequencing genomes of rare diseases.
During the next five years, the Bioinformatics division plans to increase the number of whole gene sequencing from 2,800 to over 10,000.
They also plan to move from diagnostic to therapeutic work while partnering with the pharmaceutical industry to identify new therapeutic agents.
In addition, they plan to disseminate the vast knowledge accumulated through sequencing to benefit the 70 children’s hospitals that use their services.
The Senior Director of Bioinformatics will provide the leadership for the department that includes four service lines:
- Genome informatics
- Applications and systems engineering
- Technical and software development
- Data services
The position reports to the VP of Research and Clinical Management and leads a team of four managers and approximately 15 individuals.
The Senior Director will not only grow their team but also grow RCIGM’s premier status in the hottest area of genomics.
- Master’s degree required
- Doctorate degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience providing BI leadership in the field of genomic medicine
- 3+ years of leadership experience
- Knowledgeable about BI challenges facing modern genomics laboratory and healthcare settings, including common workflow models, and the capability to lead future growth
- Knowledgeable about regulatory, legal, and accreditation standards
- Able to work with budgets and planning models
- Comfortable operating with tight timelines
- Demonstrated experience developing, leading, and mentoring a team
- Experience leading the development of products and software to support strategic growth of a state-of-the-art rapid genome laboratory
- Experience with agile methodologies
For more information about the organization, the Senior Director of Bioinformatics position, and the community, click the “Full Profile” link (top right sidebar).
Please note that Kirby Partners exclusively represents this job opportunity and all candidates will be presented through our team of executive recruiters. If you have questions about this position, please email Steve Bennett.